Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Tuesday's - What's in your Bag?

   That is "What's Your Secret Weapon"?

Mine is a very sticky substance called "Benzoin Compound - Tincture". It's an oral mucosal protectant that is 77% alcohol. When I first started using a pump, I couldn't keep some of my sites attached to my person, for the life of me. I needed something stronger than your typical site prep pad that I had been using. In southern Tennessee it is very hot and humid here throughout good portions of the year. Combine that with endurance training and you can forget having sites on after a workout. And yet, this stuff, recommended to me by a good friend. This stuff is the bomb. It's not perfect, but it's as close to perfect that I've found so far. Every once in a while after a really sweaty workout I'll have to re-apply, but this is rare and usually during warmer summer weather. So....what is your secret weapon?

1 comment:

  1. OK, since nobody else has said anything, here's a simple "secret weapon" of mine.
    I've had Paradigm pumps for almost ten years, and I noticed this early on.
    Temporary basal rates suck for endurance training.
    a) Often, you don't know exactly how long you want the temporary basal to last. You're going to run or bike a certain distance or a certain route. But you are required to pick a duration for your temporary basal rate. If it takes you longer to do the run, or if you decide to run longer, then the basal rate change will end early.
    b) Usually you know the temporary basal rate you want to use, and you've used it before many times. But you have to enter it again each time you use it.
    c) The pump will beep every half hour to remind you that you're on a temporary basal rate. Usually, this is unnecessary and annoying.
    So what can you do?
    I set up a Basal Pattern that is the basal rate I want to use on long runs. Now I simply select that pattern before the run, and go back to the standard basal rate pattern after.
    There's no resetting of the rate, no setting of the duration, and no constant beeping.
    It's way fewer button-presses to get what I want.

    ReplyDelete