Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Wednesdays Thoughts

   Well, the Tour De Cure is off to a great start this year. I'm heading up the Red Riders team as their captain and enjoying it. So far we've had 3 rides. With the assumption that my teammates are riding on their own also, everybody is getting good mileage in the bank. We century riders will be doing a little bit extra riding to hit the spot. We've been hitting the media and local events to raise awareness and funds about diabetes and just how many people it effects. Most people have no idea the size of this issue. Diabetes is the next epidemic and it's here. It feels good to spread the word, to see that person you're telling finally understand the impact.
   On a secondary note. I listened in on my first DESA conference call last night. I'm holding great hope for getting something going with a local chapter for DESA. Step-by-step I'll find those interested and in need of such things here in Chattanooga and I will plug everybody into this. I see great potential here and am excited about. Basically what a local DESA chapter will be able to provide will be an outlet for educational events/meetings in the area, a way for local folks with diabetes to connect with peers, experts and or mentors, and medical professionals who have a clear understanding about how to deal with the issues that come into question with diabetes and all types of endurance sports and exercise. THIS IS GOING TO BE AN AWESOME THING.

No comments:

Post a Comment