Thursday, March 5, 2009

Thursdays Thought

   Well, late Saturday night on the 21st of February, I had a little surprise. The kind we don't like to get. My CGMS Sensor quite on me. The battery has been a super sport. That's not the problem. It was more of a mechanical issue. If you could zoom in on this picture..............................................




you would see that one of the metal electrical connection prongs has clearly bloken off. I'm not sure how that happened, but it has. Argghhhhh! Ok, so I call the help line at Medtronic. They, doing their job, said I really needed to contact someone during normal weekday hours who could more appropriately handle this for me. There really wasn't much they could help me with as I found out that this CG was more than 1 year past its warranty. That's right my CG was/is 1 year and 7 months old and has now kicked the bucket.

   Now, I was under the impression that there was a 1 year warranty on the CGMS Sensors when I first got this one 19 months ago. This was my first sensor. However, due to it's size and people dropping it a lot, I've come to realize the company only warranties it for 6 months. I have NEVER dropped mine. The dang thing costs too much as invaluable to me. It's unfortunate on both sides of the fence that (A) Users, you would think, would take very good care of their CG Sensor knowing what it cost and (B) the manufacturer, in its test stages probably knew about this facet, and should be working on alleviating the issue. That would allow them to give it a longer warranty. Maybe I'm rambling, but $650 is a lot of money to me for something as technical as this device and I guess I expect more longevity from it. I love this thing and both myself and my wife could almost not live without it. My wife gets peace of mind while we sleep and I get incredibly valuable trending data while staying fit training and competing in endurance sports. OK, I'll get off of the oxcart now.



1 comment:

  1. That is so frustrating considering how well you have taken care of your CGMS. I'd try calling Minimed and complaining multiple times. When I was trying to get my CGMS I called daily to question them, and I didn't stop until they got me one. Hopefully they will understand considering the care you have shown it and the amount of exercise you get.

    ReplyDelete