Thursday, June 11, 2009

Wednesday - Group Trail Run

Run: ~7 Miles
Terrain: Moderately Hilly
Time: 01:06:03

Pre-Run BG: 194 mg/dl
Post-Run BG: 79 mg/dl
Intake: 2 Hammer Gels, 1 bag Power-Bar Gel Blasts
Run Pump Status: 20% of Normal first 2 miles, Suspend rest of run

    Wow, the legs felt much better out there last night. I'm broke off from the group to focus on my own pace and form. I need to do that my first 3-4 runs so that I can just keep up with these crazy folks I run with. Compared to last week, calf pain today is moderate to nothing at all. Last week I was aching for days. That hadn't really happened before. My BG was like 236 about an hour before the run, so I took 1u of Novolog at that time. A few minutes before the run I put the pump to 20% of normal basal. However, I was keeping a close eye on my trending to see just how far that 1 unit was going to go. It went a lot farther then I was hoping it would have. So, at 174 and 2 down arrows (BG has changed 40 points within the last 20 minutes) - I downed a Gel. Then at 124 still having 2 down arrows-I was about 1.5 miles out from the car, I downed another Gel. Banana flavoured. Not too bad. It reminded me of banana bread batter. Did a finger stick and got 79. So, as I'm running up to the car my CG starts complaining to me "You are 60 mg/dl and you still have fast downward trending - 2 down arrows. Come on man fix it!!!" It's at these moments when I remind myself to ALWAYS listen to my body, not the CG or pump. If you do that you will be far better off most of the time. I can get valuable info from all of this "medi-mech" (medical machinery), but it's all about WHEN to listen to it. All-in-all it was a great run in the woods.






2 comments:

  1. You said:
    "It's at these moments when I remind myself to ALWAYS listen to my body, not the CG or pump. If you do that you will be far better off most of the time. I can get valuable info from all of this "medi-mech" (medical machinery), but it's all about WHEN to listen to it."

    I go even farther than that. I listen to my body instead of my doctors.

    My body is hyper-sensitive to drugs, so I have lots of medication side-effects. I just have to find what works for me, even if my doctors don't like it.

    But then I'm a Type 2 diabetic. YMMV.

    Best wishes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My pet peeve with CGM alarms is the high BG alarm when you've just done a correction bolus using the bolus wizard.
    "Yes, I know I'm over 200 hundred! I just told you that five minutes ago! And you know I just did a correction bolus! You calculated it for me! Why are you giving me a fricking alarm?!"

    ReplyDelete