Sunday, June 7, 2009

Saturday - Midnight Mud Run

Run: 4.8 miles
Swim: ~ 300 meters
Terrain: Typical Hay Bay Trail and mucky swim
Time: ~65 Mins

Pre-Run BG: 135 mg/dl
Post-Run BG: 74 mg/dl
Intake: 6 PB Crackers (prior to start), 4 oz. Hammer Gel
Run/Swim Pump Status: I took the pump off for this one

    First, let me say that this was not a race. It was fun, but also a good reminder to me of some past experience and the need for training. I am not, by nature, a swimmer. In fact, not even a runner by nature. Though with much training I've become some what of a runner and with more training I may even become somewhat of a swimmer. However for now....let's just say when I was 300 ft off shore and working way too hard on the swim bec. I haven't done open H2O in years, with shoes that weighed like 5 lbs each (I'm not kidding), I had a nasty little flash-back of being pulled out with the tide in Peru with low sugar and not fully comprehending what was happening. That little Peruvian experience scared the shittaki out of me, but has me a wiser person. So, I swam back to shore and took the smarter route for myself. I did attempt a short one and then completed one of the shorter swims, but it's time to hit the open water for some practice before I attempt that again. My CG had ended earlier this day, so I opted to leave it off and to DC from my pump also..as the pump is not H2O proof. This event really was fun. Especially at midnight with a full moon and we owned the trail to ourselves. I'll do it again when the chance provides itself. It was more sweat and water than mud as this pic shows. I'll bet the folks in house boats were a little shocked to see swimmers with glow sticks and headlamps coming toward them at around midnight!




No comments:

Post a Comment