Thursday, June 25, 2009

Wednesday - Group Run

Run: 5 miles
Terrain: Very Hilly, Lookout Mt. Trails
Time: 01:19:31


Pre-Run BG: 173 mg/dl
Post-Run BG: 243 mg/dl
Intake: 4 PB Crackers
Run Pump Status: 1st 2 miles (0% Basal), Last few miles (50%Basal).

    OK, mountainous trail running is vastly deceiving when it comes to gauging your mileage on very hilly trials. Last night I thought and felt like I'd run maybe 8-9 miles. When calculated with a google map it's only ~5 miles. That's a big difference. So, I checked the BG before I headed out and it was 173. I figured that about 30 minutes into the run the BG would start dropping, so I ate 4 pb crackers for a buffer. My initial pace felt good, but it lead me to the "Diabetes Pain Cave" unbenounced to me. I should note that before the run I was just feeling, I don't know how to say it, but "not quite right"...bit of some head pressure and the belly felt like I'd eaten something slightly disagreeable. I should have picked up on that and taken it out slower with the group. Even if I fell off the back. Instead, I ran headlong into the DPC by tapping the glycogen stores by starting out too hard. So, the BG went up and according to the CG hung at about 200 all of the run. I took .5 units of Humolog during the run and then bumped my basal back up to 50% of norm. I was hoping what little I took would be enough to drop my BG and make the good physical feel of running come back around. It didn't happen. The HR kept jumping up too easily and my breathing was a bit too difficult. I should say our air quality around here right now is not stellar either along with some typical hot southern weather. Oh well, live, learn, laugh, repeat.

It needs to be noted for myself, for later purposes, and for other readers that the following is important floow-up on the above run.

     As can be read, my beginning BG was 173. Under normal circumstances I've come to realize that my sugar will drop within the first few miles of the run and from there it just depends on my effort level and intake. Intake was a problem here. I forgot my gel flask in the car. Duuhh. I also had the understnading that my glucose was trending downward. Hence the snack before I ran and the 0% basal to begin with. Yes, I should have just left the basal at no less than 30% though. The kicker here though, is that while getting dressed for the run before leaving work, I pulled my insulin site out just a hair. It hadn't come out that far, so I re-adhered it to my skin. All I can say is that in the past this has worked. From this point forward I will warn myself to simply replace the site...it's not worth it. This, now non-patent canula, would be the reason for the spiking BG's. My thoughts........that was stupid.


No comments:

Post a Comment