Thursday, April 23, 2009

Wednesday - Work Run

Run: 3.0 Miles
Terrain: Flat Track
Time: 0:30:01

Pre-Run Glucose: 78 mg/dl
Post-Run Glucose: 121 mg/dl
Intake: 6 PB&Honey crackers
Pump Run Status: 30%


   I just needed to get out and stretch the legs. There is a track at work, right behind the hospital, that surrounds the parking lot. Perfect for burning off the days woes while waiting for the wife bec. we car pool. I had just enough time to do a slow warm-up (I'm not in as great shape as I was in Feb.) and run three miles. Even though my sugar was a little low, I decided to leave a small % basal on. I want to keep this up and see how it effects my feel and condition during various runs. Better to practice when no competition is happening. My glucose bumped up a little bit, to like 131, and then dropped back down to around 120 just after the run. I wasn't pushing hard, so I knew I'd be OK here. So it was. Next time I want to start within my ideal range 130-180 and keep the basal and see what happens.

THOUGHTS:
   As far as my Apidra change-outs is going, I'm still changing every 1.5 days and not having problems with almost uncontrollable high glucose levels. This is looking good.

   As for another issue, that would be my CGMS. It's not very cold here in the winter, but cold enough since we also keep out thermostat set at like 67-68 through the winter, that sleeping with a down comforter is heavenly. Here's the problem I have though. I can't hear the alarms going off from the CG when the pump is under the comforter. I kept the vol. on high, but regardless, I just don't hear it but like 5% of the time. That is really bad. I need that trending data to help me be aware of what's going on while I'm sleeping. It's not a problem in the spring and summer, only late fall and winter. I've placed the pump on Vibe, just to see if that help. It did a little. So, for most of this winter I've kept it there during the night, but that's only allowing me to know if I'm trending up or down maybe 15% of the time. I just sleep like a bear and don't pick-up on the feedback from the pump very easily while sleeping. What I'm thinking would really help, is to have an external speaker linked to the pump. Like an added feature for specific uses. Set it on the nightstand and hear the alarms going off. Plug it in and it could receive via RF the trending data from the pump. I think this could really be great for a lot of heavy sleepers or those who require thick blankets to sleep comfortably.

What's your take?
Got any cool ideas?
Have some of the same problems?

4 comments:

  1. Have you tried clipping the pump to the neck of a shirt while you're sleeping? The pump should still be picking up the signals from your CGM, and your ears would have a better chance of hearing the alarms.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I understand your frustrations. I have experimented with the alarm settings and have found that the vibrate alarm works best for me. I don't hear the alarm settings when I am sleeping, but wake up to the vibrations usually. I wish the alarms would be louder. I also wish that my pump would vibrate and alarm me at the same time. Maybe in the future...?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've noticed that on a specific audio setting the pump will actually vibe and alarm. I'll have to check into which setting it is.

    ReplyDelete