Saturday, April 18, 2009

Saturday - Baby Brick

Ride: 38 Miles Run: 1 mile (I know, I know)
Terrain: Rollers and Flats Terrain: Flat Track
Time: 02:31:19 Time: 0:08:41

Pre-Brick Glucose: 75 mg/dl (Rats...not the place to start at!)
Post-Brick Glucose: 234 mg/dl (Over-did it a little...)
Intake: 1 pkg fruit gummies, 1 granola bar, 10 oz Heed, 1 protein bar
Brick Pump Status: Suspend (First 60 mins only)

CORRECTED (Thanks JN)
    Saturday was a beautiful day. Went on a 40 miler with friends. It was a little windy, but I was feeling good and it wasn't really noticed by my brain or legs. I started out with sugar that was too low for the normal start feeling. 15 miles in I thought it was still dropping, should have waited and done a finger stick, but indeed it was going up....too high and too late to finish or be near the finish feeling good. I put took the pump off of suspend at the half-way mark realizing I had overcompensated (Dummy!). It's that same old lactic acid feeling/burning in the muscles I get when this happens. I'll chalk it up and try to play it safer. It's like there is only this window from 90-180 mg/dl where if I'm in it I'm cranking and feeling good. When I'm outside of that window is when I tend to have issues. So, I'm gonna have to baton down and get this correct. I didn't feel like doing much of a run to end the day, so 1 mile was all I could pull in. Oh well, next time.








6 comments:

  1. You say "Over-did it..."
    I say that you should not be suspending your pump for 2.5 hours.
    Still, good job on getting the workout in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good point, Jerry. You know I did that for running because it worked very well. But I have to throw in a little correction here. I had the pump on suspend for the first hour because I started so low. I turned it back on and took a bolus at the half-way point. Thanks for the reminder. I need to iron-out the longer rides, but usually reducing rates down to 50-30% would work for a typical ride. For the hammerfest's, it's gonna be suspended.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OK. Suspending for an hour as you did makes little difference. It couldn't have helped with your low, and it can't be blamed for your high.

    "For the hammerfest's, it's gonna be suspended."

    That's saying that when you work really hard, you're going to deprive your muscles of a hormone which helps them fuel up and rebuild.
    I'm not saying it can't be done, I'm just saying it's sub-optimal. There's a lot of room between 50% and 0. 0 insulin is not the best level to choose.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So, Jerry, are you suggesting the better option would be to run/ride with reg. basal rates and compensate for highs by taking calibrated bolus'? If this is what you are suggesting then this would explain why some high endurance athletes are using Lantus in their training. Alright...Jerry educate me. What's the optimal?

    ReplyDelete
  5. If your pancreas wasn't broken, then when you went for a long ride, you would have less and less insulin going into your bloodstream, but it would never go down to zero.
    I wouldn't (I don't) ride with a regular basal rate. I would ride with a reduced basal rate. I would (I do) keep the carbs coming to keep from going low.
    If I goofed, and my blood sugar went high, then I would take a reduced bolus, probably half of what I would take if I wasn't on a ride.
    Of course, that might not be the right ratio for you. You've got to figure out what works for you.
    I know Missy Foy likes to use Lantus as her basal because her insulin level never gets too low. That's the same reason I'm giving you this advice.
    Remember, just because your blood sugar isn't high, that doesn't mean your insulin isn't low.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I normally ride with a basal rate of like 30-50% of the norm (for an average pace ride). I do keep an eye on the glucose during the rides and have gel or Heed for intake about every 30-45 minutes. That's worked for me in the past for typical rides.
    When my intake is greater then my output (caloric burn-off) and my glucose rises outside of my performance range (which I believe to be 130-180 mg/dl for myself) then I take 1/3 to 1/4 of the normal bolus to drop it. That's what works for me.
    I appreciate the input. I have read several spots where Missy has mentioned her use of Lantus. I know Phils Southerland (TT1) also uses Lantus for a basal. So, I need to be more open to keeping that basal going maybe even during my runs.
    Practice.Practice.Practice.

    ReplyDelete