Sunday, April 5, 2009

Sunday - Hammer Duathlon

Race: Run 3, Ride 17.4, Run 3
Terrain: Run - pretty flat, Ride - Very Hilly
Time: Race total 01:49 and some change

Pre-Race Glucose: 184 mg/dl (Ahhh perfect!)
Post-Race Glucose: 143 mg/dl (even better)
Intake: 12 oz Heed
Race Pump Status: Suspend

   Race #1 for the year. You know today was different. I met friends at the race. Picked my packet up and headed for the restroom. Typical affair of everybody waiting in line stretching while they wait. I was running about 15 mins late, so I didn't really get a good warm-up. My wife, the blessing she is, chose a spot in transition and dropped my bag and racked my bike. I got over to transitions with 20 mins to spare and got ready. It was a sunny yet brisk morning. Really just a typical spring morning. So, I wore tri shorts and jersey with arm warmers. Those turned out ot be a better choice than the long sleeve base layer most folks went with. The Anthem is heard over the PA so it's start time after that. The crowd gathers for the start and whithin the minute we're all off running.

   During the first run, I notice a young lady (she's like 9) kicking it up and keeping a pretty good pace. I caught and passed her, but only for now. It was cool every once in a while someone she passed would yell out "good job Gram, Keep it up". My tran times felt pretty good. I'll estimate them to be from 20-25 seconds each.

   The bike section had changed this year. I hadn't known about this until race morning. This also meant the ride would be longer this year. Last year it was out and back on a busy Hwy 444 with a 360 at the turn, in the middle of the highway. Not too cool. This year someone firgured it out and looped us on a couple of back roads bringing us back out to 444 again. I'll take those three 45 degree turns compared to a 360 anyday. Those turns brought a substantial amount of climbing though. After the 2nd turn you crested and could see your rolling down-hill for like 2 miles spread out in front of you, and I'm one the only one who put it in the big gear and hammered it out for a nice down hill. My wife hates to hear about those downhill speeds..todays was about 40 mile per hour.

   I got back to the last run and of course the legs felt a little stiff for the first mile. I paced myself and started to open it up a bit after I got a bit more in the groove. That same young lady appeared out of nowhere and I asked her how she was feeling. "OK. I didn't know I was going to have to run again though", she says....as she ticks it off right by me.

   I settled my mind on the fact that I would not look at time, EVER, thoughout the race. So I didn't. And to be honest I soon didn't care about it either. I was just out there enjoying and pushing myself. It was a good day to race.

   The funny thing is I podiumed. I nevre thought for a second I would, so my wife and I left early. My buddy calls me up and tells me I had second place for beginner. Not bad I think to myself. I will say that by midsummer at the earliest, I don't think I'll be feeling like a beginner anymore. For now, I'm definately still a beginner though.





No comments:

Post a Comment