Monday, January 19, 2009

Sunday - Taper Long Run

Run: 13.5 miles (Hay Bay 4.5 mile Trail Loop)
Terrain: Lake Loop with little elevation gain
Time: 02:05:09

Pre-Run Glucose: 135 mg/dL
Post-Run Glucose: 170 mg/dL
Intake: 8 oz. Glucerna, 1/2 Protein Bar
Run Pump Status: Suspend

   We decided to do a trail run for today's mileage. Not a bad choice....at least until lap three when the frozen mud was no longer so frozen. Quiet and always nice on the trail. I started today unprepared. If it had been a race day I would have been hurting for the first hour and a half. I didn't eat until like 09:15 and ran at 10:15. Not good or smart, but in one aspect it is helpful. I know what it would feel like to actually have to run so close to post prandial. This won't happen again. Aside from the brick in the belly feeling for the first hour, the run wasn't too bad. I did forget to transfer my insoles from my road shoes to my trail shoes. That's what I get for trying to save a little money and only buy one pair for now. I've got to keep up with stretching for my left heel to feel good for long runs. My knees were screaming at me yesterday at mile 10.5 on the last loop. I'm going to blame that on the missing insoles.

   Overall I didn't do too bad though. I did start to feel like my glucose levels were trending upwards near the midway point of the last loop. My quads started to feel like they do when I'm putting them in high demand and I know the sugar is high. I've got to stick with finger sticking every 2-3 miles. Checking every 4.5 miles was not enough I feel to keep things in tight control. I'm beginning to be able to feel a difference in performance depending on what my glucose levels are doing. So far what I've learned from listening to my body is that if my glucose is between 90 and 140 to maybe 150 I'll get out what I put in. However, if I fall under or go over that limits with glucose I'll have to put more work in to get the same results out. My goal is to correct for this before it happens. Hence checking my glucose every 2-3 miles on runs. Cycling will be a little different.


No comments:

Post a Comment