Monday, January 12, 2009

Sunday - Long Run


Run: 18 Miles (longest run to date)
Terrain: Pretty flat Riverwalk
Time: 03:12:04

Pre-Run Glucose: 90 mg/dL (a little low to be starting!)
Post-Run Glucose: 129 mg/dL
Intake: 18 PB&J crackers, 12 oz Gatorade, 4 oz Hammer gel,
Run Pump Status: Suspend

   The weather just hasn't been so pleasant on these long runs yet. We need some sun on the weekends. For this run I did a good amount of pre-run stretching during breakfast like 2.5-3 hours before the run and then right before start. I believe this helped a lot, but Yoga would probably help my flexibility even more. I monitored the CGMS the whole time for trending data. No problems with bad readings, but I didn't trust the CGMS much beyond trending data, so I did finger sticks about every 3-5 miles. Which is good, because this timing was essential in keeping my glucose levels up. I pretty much ate crackers every time I stopped in order to keep the glucose up. Those PB&J crackers are awesome. They are a perfect combination of protein and carbs to keep the glucose very level, or without much spiking in either direction. I felt pretty darned good for this run. At about mile 14 I noticed my heart rate was a little high and my breathing was a little heavier. So, I stopped to finger stick. Good thing. Sugar was like 78 mg/dL. So, I was getting too low. Gotta keep those glucose levels between about 130-150. This is tight and difficult at times to do, but it paves the way for peak performance during some intense exercise. The pit stops were a few too many it felt but they were kept, time-wise, to a minimum. Thanks to my running partner for sticking it out with me. I appreciate that. Compared to the last run out on the Riverwalk (A 16 miler) this one was GREAT!
   As a post run note. After a long run, or any long amount of intensive exercise, I ALWAYS put my insulin pump on a temporary basel rate of about 150% of the normal basel rate. I never do long then that, because the liver break down of fat and subsequent dumping of glucose in to the system doesn't really last much long then that. Of course I replenish that burned energy with a recovery drink, usually a healthy glass of chocolate Silk. About an hour after the run I get a very healthy sized meal in to replenish even more. The insulin that is needed for this meal and for the next day or so, is however a fraction of what I would normally need. It is EXTREMELY IMPORTANT to very closely monitor glucose level after such a run, even more than it is during the run. Gauging the amount of actual needed insulin is sometimes hard to do, but the bottom line is...DO NOT USE THE SAME AMOUNT YOU USUALLY WOULD. You will have lows and maybe even some sever of dangerous low glucose levels.










No comments:

Post a Comment