Thursday, August 6, 2009

Wednesday - Group Run

Run: ~4-4.5 miles
Terrain: very hilly
Time: 0:56:39

Pre-Run BG: 138 mg/dl
Post-Run BG: 156 mg/dl
Intake: H2O
Run Pump Status: 50 % of reg. Basal rate 1st 1-1.5 miles, then 100% of reg. Basal

    I think I had a pretty good grip on my glucose maintenance last night. I was very happy with therun. I'll see my chiro before the next good run and that should help a bit also. So, I dropped my basal to 50% 1 hour prior to the run and didn't eat anything. I'd already had plenty of fuel and H2O a few hours earlier. As stated at about 1-1.5 miles into the run, and watching my pace very carefully, I noticed I had begun to trend upwards. Immediately I put the basal rate back to 100 % and kept running. About 10-15 minutes latrer I noticed it was still trending upward with one arrow. So, I took an action that was a little risky, but I had plenty of gel with me so I wasn't worried. I took 1.5 units of Novolog and kept running. In another 15 mintes the upward BG trend was gone and I'd stabilized at about 164 mg/dl. This was perfect. I was excited to have a small grip of control on this issue as I haven't had much luck with it the past few runs. Back at the car I got 157 mg/dl from a finger stick and was happy. I cut the run short of following the group out for the full monty of 5-8 miles and did what I knew "I" needed to. I'm really changing my thought pattern here, in that instead of just following the group and hanging on - or trying to hang on, I'm focusing on me and staying there regardless of who's around me or where they're at. I think that this approach will make me stronger race day and I'm betting on it. This also makes me more of a soloist at times, but I can live with that. Anything longer for the run last night and I would have definately used the gel, but just under an hour and I'm OK with no gel.






No comments:

Post a Comment