Thursday, July 30, 2009

Wednesday - Group Run

Run: ~6 miles
Time: 01:17:51
Terrain: Very Hilly

Pre-Run BG: 142 mg/dl
Post-Run BG: 230 mg/dl
Intake: small granola bar @ 5PM(run began at 6), 9 oz Protein shake, 1 Kids Cliff bar
Run Pump Status: 40% of normal basal from 5PM - 6:45PM, then up to 100%

     This sucks. I feel like type1 has a death grip on my training right now. I'm really struggling with this at the moment. I tried yesterday to make sure I had BG's, insulin-on-board, and the tail end of my last bolus done with all before the run. I finished lunch at 14:30 and bolused for it. So the insulin-on-board was dealt with. I monitored trending data from the CG and then did a finger stick at 16:45 (137 mg/dl). I also hydrated plenty until one hour before the run. In my mind I was all set-up for a great run.

    I got to where the group was meeting a little early. Finger stick was 139. Good. At 17:30 I went out a little early for a short and slow warm-up...about 1 trail mile. Came back drenched and picked some blackberries on the way. Nice.

    Met up with the group and did a finger stick one more time, 97 mg/dl. Not so great. OK, I ate a kids cliff bar. I'd forgotten my gle flask...dang-it. The group left at about 18:05 for the run and headed out at a moderate pace. At the beginning I was trying to stay focused and fall into a pace. About 1-1.5 miles into the run I look at the CG and it's telling me 172 with two up arrows. I left things as they were for another 20 minutes. Checking the CG again I am now given the 220 and two up arrows. Crap. Wrong place to be again. I'm thinking, "I'm really getting tired of this." Too many variables tonight for this to work well. I slowed back and was the last one in. I easily sprinted the downhills, slow ran the flats, and had to walk up the hills (couldn't keep the HR below 175 or so without walking). I was the thoughouly frustrated with this situation again. I am NOT giving in to this. I WILL make it work. I'd rather be low then to feel like this. It sucks. It makes me feel so pewny and small in effort compared to what I know I can do.

    Thinking about this, it seems like I'm becoming anaerobic while using the same effort levels I'm use to. Maybe it's just a fluke of events and timeing, but it sure as heck is frustrating.






2 comments:

  1. Hey, Mike,
    It's not easy, and there are always going to be times when it's frustrating. If I ever gave you the impression I have it figured out, I'm sorry. I have a lot of runs like that. I don't know what went wrong, but it just didn't work. I have to work backward from the fact that I didn't get the results I expected, and figure out what I might have done differently. And sometimes the only answer is that I don't know.
    I wanted to say all that before I got into a bunch of theories on what happened with this run.
    How many grams carbs in that Clif bar?
    Maybe the slow, relaxed warm up was a perfect pace for burning carbs without any stress hormones to release glycogen.
    Maybe running with the rest of the group got your adrenaline up, and the pace was faster, and you had eaten that bar.
    Other possibilities involve things like bubbles in your tubing or insulin pooling at your infusion site.
    Don't get too frustrated about a training run. I know it's hard sometimes, but you have a lot to feel good about on this run.
    Remember, you are D.E.A.D., a Diabetic Endurance Athlete with Determination!
    This is the way things are for guys like you, but you just keep fighting the good fight, brother.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ahh. You are right Jerry.

    #1-The Cliffbar. It was a "ZBAR" and had 23 grams of carb in it. Not too bad.

    #2-Adrenaline. I'm thinking you're right about that. I've noticed for a while now that when I run with others I get internally excited, or at least that's how it feels, before the run. It's almost like the feeling of a good cup of leaded java, but I can definately feel it happening.

    We'll see how hill repeats do tomorrow. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete