Monday, July 20, 2009

Sunday - Long Run

Run: 8.5 Miles
Terrain: Mostly flat with a few baby hills
Time: 01:27:30

Pre-Run BG: 188 mg/dl
Post-Run BG: 131 mg/dl
Intake: ~6 oz Hammer gel
Run Pump Status: 45% of normal basal rates

   I'm a little behind schedule for my long runs dew to a lower back injury. I'm on it now though. So today I did what I could, something just shy of the scheduled run. Next Sunday, I'll run for at least 2 hours, and hopefully a little more then that. I feel like I did well today though. Not only did I do my usual basal rate drop 1 hour ahead of time, but also during the run I kept a very close eye on my effort. I focused a lot more and kept the HR at no more than 150. I think this was crucial for me and I plan on doing this more often with all long runs. I took my time warming up (~ 2-3 miles) and then kept an eye on the heart rate. Not pushing the HR above 150, I have to say I felt much stronger. I think I 'm going to change the pace I've been going out at, and after warm-up, slow down a little also. I think I have been a lot closer to an-aerobic then I may known for the past little while. So, I'm going to focus on this and try to repeat Sunday's performance level and power feeling. I really did feel much stronger then I have on a run in a long time.

   The other thing I did different this time was to use the little carry pouch that came with my "One-Touch Ultra Mini" and attached it to my Fuel Belt so I could do a physical BG check during the run and get at the meter easily. That little pouch was perfect for carrying the meter for me.


3 comments:

  1. Hope your back is feeling better. That's cool that your pump fits in that meter case. I know I have one lying around at home. I will check that out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jerry, I'm actually carrying my BG meter with me on long runs now. I know I probably should have in the past, but I am now and that case is perfect for the Fuel Belt and running with it. It attaches with a velcro loop right over my fuel belt. My pump is tucked away nicely in an MP3 carrying pocket that attaches to the Fuel Belt also. I think I'll take a pic of the set-up and post it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been following your blog for a while and find it very helpful. How do you get your tape to stick to you during a run? Do you have to change the tape over the sensor every couple days?

    ReplyDelete