Thursday, February 19, 2009

Thursdays Thoughts

   Just a few thoughts for the day. I'm the team Captain for the Red Riders for our Tour De Cure here in the area. The Red Riders are those cyclists who have Diabetes...the reason for the ride. Mari Ruddy started this a while ago out in Colorado. So, I carry this on in our area. I organized Team Life last year and was asked by the ADA event associate manager from Knoxville if I would change our team name this year and lead out the Red Riders. I thought what the heck, why not. And then I started getting some other ideas. Like how the training for this event could lead to a possible mentor-like relationship with youth who have Type 1 after the tour is done this year. Hmmm. Some bike rides, maybe if a few folks are interested in running. Maybe some competative events in the future and get these guys interested and involved. I see this all taking a mild shape already, but I have high hopes.

   I don't know about anyone else, well I do - I've read it on your blogs too, but when I was diagnosed at the age of 12, I thought the fun was over. I was told "no salt, and NO SUGAR" ever again. Sounded kind of drastic and rather bland if you ask me. In fact, I felt extremely limited in my diet for years. This also rolled over into my activities. I wanted to at least look normal so when I was in Highschool I got on the wrestling team. That was agreat step in the right direction. It's this direction that I want to help others to see that they can totally take. I hate it when others limit you and they have no clue. Here's a great example that grinds me every time I hear it. You're at a benefit meal at work for example and someone you work with says, "man you can't eat that, you've got diabetes". Inside that REALLY pisses me off, but I've learned to enlighten those types of viewpoints instead of getting upset. So, with these hopeful beginnings I want to see what comes of this in the next 6-12 months. And this is a little bit of what I'll say tomorrow during our "Kick-Off Lunch" for this years Tour de Cure.


No comments:

Post a Comment