Monday, February 23, 2009

Sunday / Monday - The Build

Ride: 18.5 miles
Terrain: trainer
Time: 0:55:33

Pre-Ride Glucose: 153 (perfect)
Post-Ride Glucose: 109
Intake: Nada
Ride Pump Status: Suspend


   Since I've got to work for a living, instead of run or ride for my paycheck, my events come a little further apart than I would like, but that's the life we live. I've been taking it really easy post last Sundays Marathon. Mostly, due to the right knee and right foot. Tons of stretching, yesterdays trainer ride, and a few hikes are about all I've done so far. The bike is ready and I'm starting to put some miles on it again.

   I'm beginning to organize my team this year "Red Riders" for the 09 TDC and get folks ready. I don't want any riders to feel left behind or not prepared the day of the event. For that matter even a few weeks out of the event. So, scheduled rides are going to start kicking in real soon. I've got the cold weather gear and don't mind riding in it, but liquid sunshine at the start of a ride is never very encouraging to put the rubber side down.

   Friday's kick-off luncheon was great. I have to say, I've never spoken in front of such a large group of people before. I knew maybe three people in the crowd of about 100. I was happy with a decent ~6 minute impromptu speech. I did in fact speak about my personal experience with diabetes and how others relate to it. I told the crowd about my desire to mentor youth with Type 1 and explained how I was getting there so far. I also let the audience know that my desire was by far nothing new. That in fact, Team Type 1 and Triabetics were far ahead of me on this issue. I made some great connections with folks who I believe will be able to help me in the development of a local program for youth with type 1. I am incredibly encouraged by the show of folks and their appreciation of what I had to say. If the number of folks waiting to talk to you after the meeting is over is any indication of a good speech, well then I'm very pleased at how I did. Maybe I need to try that more often. We'll see what happens. I was already asked by some ladies at our table if I would consider speaking to some youth. Heck, open door. Bring it on.

I'm seeing this dream become more solid by the day. Now I just need to get into the next DESA conference call.






No comments:

Post a Comment