Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Sunday - Atomic Duathlon

PRE-RACE:

     Today I was not optimally ready to go, pre-race. First, we were a bit late to the race location and 2nd, my bg was ~350...auggghhhh! Not a good place to start. Pre-Race adrenaline got to me more this time then last race. It wasn't breakfast that was for sure. Breakfast, along with the bolus for it, were gone about 2 hours beforehand. Oh well, I got everything set-up in trans and ran into a few familiar folks from our local multi sport/cycling club. I walked to pick-up and got my goods and numbers and then hoofed it back to my transition spot. This would be the fastest prep before a race I think I've done yet. It helped to have previous race experience. So, I was ready to go in about 5-8 minutes.



RACE:

    If I had failed to mention yet that the weather was a bit less than optimal....well it was a good bit challenging, that's for sure. So, just keep in mind that during this race the temp was like mid to high 40's and the wind was kickin from the Southwest at ~ 25-30 mph. Line-up and off goes the horn/gun. The first run was nice. I wasn't warmed up yet for it, but hey I was late. I was doing about an 8:15-8:30 minute mile for the first 2.4 miles. Transition to bike. Let me say that I had no delusions of having any stellar bike time. It was windy as heck out there no matter which direction you were headed. Once I warmed up after about 5 miles, I kept it in the big ring for as much as I could, except hills. That helped me a bit and it wasn't killing me. My hands and toes were a we bit cold and numb when I got back, but that warmed up in the sun on the second run. It took me about 23-25 minutes for the second run. Man I hate that cement leg feeling when you start your second run.



FINISH:

    This is where things were different for me for the first time in a race. I usually finish with hardly a soul around me and no one every really close to me. This time was different however. All but the last 1000 ft dash to the finish were uphill, so I kept pacing myself reserving...it was my last race of the year so for what I don't know, but I was pacing myself none the less. Up the last hill 2 guys that looked my age pass me. Then 2 women pass me and then pass the 2 guys who had just buzzed me also. The girls were moving pretty fast. So, I made a quick decision to hold the gap with the guys....10-15 ft...not a problem. Meanwhile, I'm telling myself "pace it or got for it. Pace it or go for it. Pace it or go?" Then on the last 100 ft of the hill I decide I remember I have nothing to loose here so I kick it in gear and pass the 2 guys going up the last of the hill. I'm on the heels of the first girl and were going downhill now to the finish...."that's it man...Go!Everything drop it in right now". So I did. "This is cool" I'm thinking. I pass the first gal and and on the heels of the 2nd girl and she knows it. We're flat out for the finish. She holds the gap and we finish about 1 second apart from each other. "Man that was fun". I need to get faster so I can have more of that experience more often. I finish at 01:58:...and change and a bg of 87mg/dl. I'm good with that. I finished, I didn't walk or crawl, and I wasn't injured. All was good. I got 3rd place in the beginner category. Cool. This will be my last beginner race. So, now I have to race for the prize with the big dogs, and my AG is very competitive.











No comments:

Post a Comment