Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Insulin Temperature - The Review

This is of course purely from the users mindset. Having come to cooler temperatures this fall, the issue of body temperature and external temperature factors effecting my insulin and its effectiveness have come to mind again.

All three of the more familiar insulins, (Apidra / Novolog / Humalog) for type I Diabetics, appear to all be on the same page as per temperature levels for storage and insulin pump use.

New Bottle to Insulin Pump Use
  • Apidra-------------------- 36 - 98.6 degrees F
  • Novolog------------------- 36 - 98.6 degrees F
  • Humalog------------------ 36 - 98.6 degrees F

So, a poll of user issues with this is not really necessary I feel. What I do feel is necessary is to do some testing myself. So I shall proceed and write later about this when I've obtained some results later under varying conditions. The main question here seems to be in my head..."What is the percent of deterioration, in effectiveness of the insulin, over time in an insulin pump cartridge while being exposed to an average variance of daily temperatures"?

I may not be able to obtain data about remaining effectiveness for the insulin, but I can obtain data about temperature levels from environmental and body variances on the insulin in my cartridge. After all, most of us are very active individuals and throughout our daily routines I'm sure we all come into contact with environmentals that exceed the temperature limits for our insulin. Let's see what I find.



No comments:

Post a Comment