Monday, January 4, 2010

Christmas Vacation - Runs

Distance: on 2 runs totaling about 6.5 miles
Temperature: -16 or -17 C or for some that's 1-3 degrees F

Before I left for Oshawa, CA for a little break, I set a goal of getting back on the trail weekly. It took two runs in insanely cold temperatures to quell that thought until I got back home. Honestly, it would have been OK, but I was definitely unprepared for such low temps. I was adequately dressed from my feet to my armpits. However, on the second run, the one with temps at 1-3 F, I hit my turn around and knew it was important to get back soon. I would realize just how important that would be when I hit the first open field and understood that I had to keep running/moving otherwise I would be in trouble. I forget what it's like to live near large water. The breeze comes in at night and goes out in the AM, and this place was no exception. The breeze across the open areas was brutal. I'm guessing with everything added up the temp going back was close to -3 to -6 degrees Fahrenheit. I didn't have enough layers to sufficiently protect my arms and face. My hands kept warm and my head was OK, but the arms are still a little numb in areas. This was the first time I've made a pretty serious mistake in quite a while. NOTE TO SELF: when it comes to running gear and vacation - ALWAYS take more then you think you'll need.

I did show myself that I was still in pretty good condition though, even after not running for a few weeks.


No comments:

Post a Comment